Black-owned restaurants are a huge part of Philly’s culture and history, and many were hit hard in the pandemic – which is why it’s more important than ever to support these local eateries and keep them thriving for years to come. Saturday, November 6th is Pepsi’s first-ever Dig In Day, a day dedicated to uplifting Black-owned restaurants in local communities nationwide.
Pepsi is calling everyone to come together before, during and after Dig In Day by dining with or ordering from their Black-owned restaurant of choice, then uploading their receipts to DigInPassport.com – a new site that makes it easy to explore Black-owned restaurants, track purchases to show support, and earn a chance for rewards. Many Black-owned restaurants across the country are planning special offerings and activities that will make this first Dig In Day delicious for all.
On Saturday, 11/6 from 11am-2pm, Philly food truck and community favorite restaurant Brotherly Grub, owned by local chef Tanesha Trippett, will be serving complimentary signature dishes like Chicken and Waffles and Cauliflower Cheesesteaks for all to enjoy during Dig In Day.
The Brotherly Grub food truck will be parked at Drexel University Gateway Garden (3161-67 Market Street Philadelphia, PA, 19104).
Guests receive a free meal and receipt voucher that they can upload to DigInPassport.com, which will help make an impact towards Pepsi’s commitment to drive $100 million in sales for Black-owned restaurants nationwide over the next five years. Guests will also learn how they can earn points toward cool prizes – like cooking classes and restaurant gift cards – for their future purchases from Black-owned restaurants.
Here’s how to get involved on Dig In Day and beyond:
✅ Eat: Dine at a local Black-owned restaurant, in person or by ordering, and save your receipt.
✅ Upload: Visit DigInPassport.com to sign up, upload your receipt, and automatically earn a chance to win culinary rewards.
✅ Repeat: Start supporting Black-owned eateries before, during and after the special day; and encourage friends and family to do the same by sharing delicious meals on social with #DigInDay.
Brotherly Grub x PepsiCo Dig In Day Recipes
Recipe #1: Fried Chicken and Waffles
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Flour – To give the waffles structure.
- Sugar – For a little sweetness.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda – For the all-important fluffiness.
- Salt + Vanilla – For maximum flavor.
- Buttermilk – For rich flavor and supreme fluffiness.
- Butter – Adds fat for tenderness and loads of flavor.
- Eggs – Bind together the batter and bring everything together.
Mix ingredients together and pour 4 ounces into a hot waffle maker for 2-3 mins on each side and you’ll have a waffle that is crispy on the outside and fluffy and rich on the inside.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Allow to marinate overnight
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1/4 granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons of black pepper
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Coat the marinated chicken in the chicken flour mixture
- Add 1 quart of oil to a cast iron pan
- Allow oil to heat up in the pan and drop the coated chicken in to the pan for 15-20 mins
- Take the chicken out, place on a plate with a napkin to drain the excess oil
- Place on top of the waffle and enjoy hot!
Recipe #2: Cauliflower Cheesesteak
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- Whisk all these ingredients together
Cauliflower Mixture for Cheesesteak
- 1 head of cauliflower (chopped into small, bit-sized florets)
- 1/2 onion (diced into medium-sized pieces)
- 1 sweet bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 slices of dairy-free vegan provolone cheese
- 1 fresh steak roll
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Canola oil, enough to coat a pan
- In a hot pan place cauliflower on medium heat and sauté with garlic and tumeric
- In another pan sauté onion until caramelized and add the sweet pepper
- When the cauliflower is tender, add onions and peppers together
- Place the vegan cheese on top on the cauliflower mixture
- Put the remoulade sauce on the steak roll and place cauliflower mixture with melted cheese on the roll
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Food enthusiast. Travel lover. Social media maven.
Independent Journalist. Food marketing/PR expert.