On Monday, November 16, chef-owner Jessica Nolen will debut The Little Bird Bakery & Cafe, a cozy corner bakery offering a diverse array of baked goods and a tempting menu of light fare. The Little Bird, which takes its name from Nolen’s maiden name, Vogel – German for “little bird” – will feature favorites from Chef Nolen’s dessert menus at Brauhaus Schmitz and Whetstone Tavern, plus recipes from New German Cooking, which she co-authored with her husband, Chef Jeremy Nolen. Guests can also expect sweet and savory treats, decadent seasonal desserts, breads and bespoke confections — along with custom-ordered cakes and pies, perfect for bringing home to the family this holiday season.
Prior to opening, Little Bird will be accepting Thanksgiving Pre-orders for desserts:
- Caramel Bread Pudding with Malted Whipping Cream and Chocolate Streusel, priced at $45, serves up to 12 people
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Snickerdoodle Crust and Vanilla Bean Cream, priced at $50, serves up to 12 people
- Pecan Pie with Bourbon Custard and Candied Orange Whipped Cream, priced at $35, serves up to 6 people
- Hazelnut Mousse Torte with Hazelnut Crust, Dark Chocolate Ganache and Sour Cherry Sauce, priced at $60, serves up to 16 people
- Classic Apple Pie with Apple Butter, Spices and Condensed Milk Ice Cream, priced at $35, serves up to 6 people
- Classic Cheesecake with Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Graham Cracker Crust and Sour Cherry Topping, priced at $45, served up to 12 people
- Maple Custard Pie with Walnut Streusel and Whipped Cream, priced at $35, serves up to 6 people
Bar and Cookie Platters will be available in three convenient sizes – 16 pieces for $24; 32 pieces for $48; 64 pieces for $96 – and in the following assortments (mix and match):
- Toffee Chocolate Blondies
- Fudgy Brownies
- Candied Orange Meringues, dipped in spiced chocolate
- Dark Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- Classic Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Rum Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
- Mini Pumpkin Cream “Whoopie” Pies
Starting on November 16, The Little Bird will be open Monday through Saturday. Hours are 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. They are closed Sundays. Open for dining in and takeout.
The bakery will also specialize in decadent seasonal and year-round treats:
- Pumpkin Cheesecake and Pumpkin Spice Blondies will appear alongside Caramel-Pretzel Bread Pudding and Cheddar-Garlic Biscuits
- Bavarian Soft Pretzels, the house-made gems served at Brauhaus Schmitz, will always be available; and look for seasonal twists on the traditional recipe
- Breads, such as Baguette and Foccacia, will join Barley-Sage Bread and a classic White Loaf among the savory baked goods
- House-Baked Cinnamon Rolls, Croissants, Mini Muffins and a Pressed Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich on Texas Toast will be available for breakfast
A cooler will house an assortment of Bottled Beverages, and Fresh Coffee (regular and decaf) will be available throughout the day. All items can be enjoyed leisurely at a table inside the bakery’s cafe seating area, or boxed up and taken home.
Guests who hope to custom-order cakes, tarts or other baked goods, will be able to do so with 48 Hours Notice; Chef Nolen will work collaboratively to fill custom orders as appropriate.
In addition, several of the recipes featured in New German Cooking will be baked at The Little Bird, including Hazelnut Mousse Tart (Haselnusstorte), Sourdough Barley Bread with Sage Topping (Gerstenbrot) and changing seasonal favorites, such as Aniseed Sugar Cookies (Springerle).
The Little Bird Bakery & Cafe
517 S. 5th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
Gastronomic Hedonist, Tiki Lifestyle Dreamer, Digital Marketing Professional, Former Nightclub DJ, Happy Homemaker Wannabe, Cat Mommy, etc.