As the country begins to enter a post-COVID-19 phase of reopening, some folks may opt to continue having summer staycations complete with backyard BBQs.
Before you fire up the grill this year, make sure you have everything you need for a delicious grilling season! You need more than food for your backyard BBQ.
🔥 Prep Your Grill. Make sure it’s clear of any old charcoals and clean the grates! Did you know that you don’t have to use harsh chemicals to clean the grill? Use distilled vinegar as a degreaser with minimal scrubbing!
🔥 Choose Your Fire. Whether you’re using wood for smoking, charcoal, or propane for the gas grill, make sure you have all of the essentials to make the fire!
🔥 BBQ Tools. Make sure you have all of your BBQ tools and utensils at the ready… tongs, spatula, fork, meat thermometer, gloves, etc.
🔥 BBQ Accessories. It’s easy to forget the accessories… be sure to have aluminum foil, pans/trays, cutting boards, spray bottles, skewers, etc.
🔥 BBQ Decorations. The food is the star of any cookout, of course, but don’t skimp on the décor! Have fun with your tablescapes with funky tablecloths, plates, cutlery, cups, napkins, centerpieces, etc. Go all out!
Now for the food…
Check out these simple and delicious recipes, both savory and sweet, for inspiration this summer. Find out how to make Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Pepper Bites, Grilled Potato Rounds, Mushroom Pizzas, and Strawberry Shortcake Skewers for your next summer BBQ.
~ Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Pepper Bites ~
- 3 red, orange or yellow peppers (try one of each!)
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cut the peppers into quarters, cleaning off and discarding the seeds and stems.
- In a bowl, blend the blue cheese crumbles, cheddar cheese, cream cheese and bacon together.
- Grill the peppers, covered, over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until just a bit charred.
- Take the peppers off the grill and fill each with 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture. Place back on the grill for about 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Get out of the cold and get those peppers in your belly!
~ Quick Grilled Potato Rounds ~
- 2 potatoes, pre-baked and cooled
- 1/8 cup butter, melted
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Slice baked potatoes in 1-inch thick rounds, brush both sides with butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill about 6 minutes on each side, and then carefully remove.
- Top with sour cream, cheese, bacon and chives – serve and enjoy!
~ Grilled Portobello Mushroom Pizza ~
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 2 tbsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice – here we used red onion, cherry tomatoes, green olives and basil
- Rub olive oil on both sides of mushroom caps, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Grill mushroom caps cavity side down on medium heat for 6-7 minutes or until tender.
- Remove mushroom caps from the grill and flip so they are cavity side up.
- Evenly fill each mushroom cap with pizza sauce and sprinkle with red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
- Top each mushroom pizza with mozzarella cheese, and your chosen toppings.
- Place back on the grate, grilling with the lid closed for about 8-10 more minutes.
- Remove carefully, serve immediately and enjoy!
~ Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs ~
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ lemon zest
- Angel food cake or pound cake chunks, or shortbread cookies
- 15 strawberries, sliced
- To make the whipped cream, beat heavy whipping cream, sugar, and lemon zest together until stiff, then set aside in the refrigerator to chill.
- On a medium grill, place cake pieces or cookies, grilling 2-3 minutes per side.
- Assemble skewers, alternating grilled cake or cookie pieces, with strawberries and daubs of cream.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!