C-Cap (Careers Through Culinary Arts Program) Competition Features Local High School Students Being Critiqued by Philadelphia Area Chefs
30 high schoolers representing Philadelphia, Delaware and Chester County public high schools re-created the intensity of a four-star restaurant kitchen as they faced off in a savory and sweet challenge on Thursday, March 26, 2015 at Drexel University’s Paul Peck Problem Solving & Research Building.
Competitors had 2 hours to prepare a French meal of Hunter’s Chicken with Tourné potatoes and dessert crepes with pastry cream and chocolate sauce. Students were not only be critiqued on their dish’s taste and presentation, but also on their organization, sanitation, work flow, timing, techniques and skills.
This year’s esteemed judges were:
- Chef Chip Roman, Blackfish BYO, Treemont, Ela, Mica, Tradestone Confections
- Chef Barbie Marshall, SOOP Catering
- Pastry Chef Robert Bennett, Classic Cake
- Chef Ben Thomas, Restaurant Cerise
- Chef Jason Cichonski, Ela
- Valerie Erwin, Owner of Geeche Girl Café
- Pastry Chef Peter Scarola, R2L
- Chef Ben Burger, Philadelphia Cricket Club
- Susan Robbins, C-CAP President
The competitors were chosen on the basis of their performance in the preliminary competition, academic records, a personal essay, and their desire to pursue post-secondary education and to forge careers in the food service industry. Students competed for scholarship awards and opportunities including full- and partial-tuition scholarships to premier local culinary colleges and to some of the most prestigious culinary schools in the country.
Browse pictures from the event below. Learn more about CCAP on their website: http://ccapinc.org.
Gastronomic Hedonist, Tiki Lifestyle Dreamer, Digital Marketing Professional, Former Nightclub DJ, Happy Homemaker Wannabe, Cat Mommy, etc.