I recently participated in a Virtual Potluck with other food bloggers hosted by the New York Beef Council. We could make anything we wanted as long as we used beef. Since we always have ground beef in the freezer for quick weeknight meals, I chose to make an easy Tex-Mex inspired casserole.
We usually have some form of tacos or burritos every week. We opted for a casserole for something different. This recipe is pretty straightforward, with the majority of the labor being in the prep work. I find preparing ingredients soothing, though. As someone with mild OCD, chopping and organizing ingredients is actually quite enjoyable.
Ingredient measurements are approximate. I almost never measure when I cook savory meals. So take the following measures with a grain of salt and certainly adjust as you’d like.
- 1 lb. ground beef, browned with white onions, and seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup Mexican cheese
- 1 cup crushed Nacho chips
- 1.5 cup of shredded lettuce
- .5 cup diced tomatoes
- .5 cup sliced black olives
- .5 cup diced red and orange peppers
- .5 cup green onions
Once you have all of the ingredients ready, assemble the casserole. Actual cooking time is short because you’ve already browned the beef. You’re essentially warming a few ingredients and then adding toppings.
- Nacho chips
- Refried beans
- Browned taco-seasoned ground beef
- CHEESE 🧀
- 350 degrees for 15 minutes until cheese is melted
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, black olives, and green onions
- ENJOY! 😋
Feel free to add whatever else you like to this recipe. Sour cream, salsa, corn, avocado chunks, jalapenos, and cilantro are all great additions. By all means, throw it all into a burrito and wrap it up if you wish!
This is such a satisfying and easy-to-make meal on a work night. I prepped a few of the ingredients in advance so that I didn’t have to do it all in one night.
It was a ton of fun to participate in the virtual potluck with fellow food bloggers. I hope to do more of these in the future and share my comfort food recipes with you.
Here are the recipes from the other bloggers:
- STEAK AND EGGS BREAKFAST WRAP by Jersey Girl Cooks
- HIDDEN VEGGIE SLOPPY JOE SLIDERS by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- BEEF TACO CUPS by Swirls of Flavor
- GRILLED MEATLOAF SLIDERS by Krazy Kitchen Mom
- STEAK SALAD by Food Hunters Guide to Cuisine
Let me know what you think and tell me your favorite ground beef recipes in the comments!
The New York Beef Council provided a gift card so that I could purchase the ingredients. All opinions are my own.
Food enthusiast. Travel lover. Social media maven.
Independent Journalist. Food marketing/PR expert.