I’ve decided to try to eat more plant-based these days. I’m not striving to be vegetarian or vegan, but I’m definitely committed to making better choices. I’ve been eating lots of fruits and vegetables and incorporating many plant-based options into my diet. It’s not always easy, but fortunately, there are a lot of meat alternatives and other meatless products that help people choose plant-based over meat. Trust me, I will still have a burger from time to time and other meat, but just not as frequently.
When I heard about JUST Egg, a new egg-free egg alternative, my interest was piqued. They’ve partnered with local healthy fast food restaurant Bryn + Dane’s to start offering egg-less breakfast sandwiches at their various Philadelphia locations. They invited me to come in and taste, but I couldn’t fit it into my schedule, so I asked them to send me a sample to evaluate. They were happy to accommodate my request.
I admit I was a bit skeptical at first. I swore if it looked and tasted like egg, I’d be sold on it. Guess what? SOLD! It absolutely looks AND — most surprisingly — tastes like egg.
It has the signature yellow color of egg. It actually looks and feels scrambled eggs; the texture is quite springy and fluffy like scrambled eggs or an omelette.
It was very easy to cook. Just grease a non-stick skillet or pan with oil or butter, heat the pan on medium, pour the liquid egg in, and use a rubber spatula to bring it all together until it no longer looks liquid — basically just like a scrambled egg or omelette. It literally takes just a few minutes! I added some seasoning to mine… onion powder, salt, pepper, and some fine dried parsley.
I don’t know how they got it to taste like an egg because it’s all-natural, but I don’t care. If I hadn’t known it was JUST Egg, I’d figure it was a real egg. I wholeheartedly endorse this product and will definitely always have some on hand to use any time I want an egg or need to use egg in a recipe. Restaurants would be crazy not to add this to their breakfast and brunch menus to accommodate vegans and plant-based eaters!
Nutritional claims about the JUST Egg plant-based, protein-packed product:
- 5g of protein per serving
- no cholesterol
- no artificial flavors or preservatives
Interesting highlights about the JUST Egg product:
- In a matter of months, they’ve sold the plant-based equivalent of 10 million chicken eggs and they’re poised to launch the JUST Egg product globally (already in the U.S., mainland China, Hong Kong, and Singapore).
- JUST Egg is selling well, and in some cases, outselling conventional eggs. There are few examples of a plant product outselling an animal product in national distribution – this is one of them.
- The number of U.S. stores selling JUST Egg 12oz increased 200%+ Q4 ’18 to Q1 ’19 and is continuing to climb.
- The #1 liquid egg in the U.S. Natural Channel is now made from plants, not chickens (source: SPINS)
- JUST Egg has 40%+ share and has reinvigorated the category, which is now growing at 34%, vs shrinking -23% prior to our launch (source: SPINS)
- Like retail, their foodservice footprint is now nationwide in the U.S. (restaurants, corporate cafeterias, colleges, govt, hotels and more)
- In consumer surveys, they found that 77% of those choosing JUST Egg are meat-eaters; 21% do not eat animal products; and 57% plan to eat more plant-based proteins in the next year.
JUST Egg accolades:
- Popular Science’s “100 Greatest Innovations of 2018”
- TIME’s “10 Smartest Sustainable Products of the Year”
- Fast Company’s “World Changing Ideas”
Philadelphia area retailers carrying JUST Egg: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Shoprite, and Giant Food Stores.
South Jersey area retailers carrying JUST Egg: Whole Foods, Wegmans, Sprouts, Shoprite, Fresh Produce of Palmyra.
(Note: I’ll post more locations as I find them)
Retail bottle price: MSRP $7.99 (*equivalent of 7 large chicken eggs)
BRYN + DANE’S is serving the following JUST Egg items on their menu:
- JUST Egg + tomato + plant-based cheddar Wrap
- JUST Egg + beyond burger crumble +plant based cheddar Wrap
- JUST Egg can substitute regular eggs
I highly recommend you check out JUST Egg if you are looking to add more plant-based options to your diet!
Food enthusiast. Travel lover. Social media maven.
Independent Journalist. Food marketing/PR expert.