Welcome to the 2nd edition of the Philly Grub Blogger Spotlight. This new series will shine a spotlight on bloggers in our local area who like to write about food, recipes, and/or the local Philly food scene.
Next in the spotlight is Glenn Walker of French Fry Diary.
Older than I want to be
Cherry Hill NJ area
French Fry Diary
Blog URL: http://www.frenchfrydiary.blogspot.com
Everything you wanted to know about French fries, and more – potato chips, recipes, restaurant reviews, onion rings, fast food, and good food – all aspects of the potato and fried food, and especially where the two meet.
Why did you start blogging?
They always say ‘write what you know’… I know French fries.
What do you like best about blogging?
I have more than a few blogs, but in the case of French Fry Diary, I do it for fun.
What platform do you use?
How do you promote your blog?
Social media mostly.
Do you write all of the blog posts yourself?
Most of the time, but I accept guest blog posts from vetted writers.
What are your favorite/most popular blog posts?
- Deep Fry Secrets – How I make French fries : http://frenchfrydiary.blogspot.com/2010/08/french-fry-diary-136-deep-fry-secrets.html
- Cookes of Dublin 2012 – A favorite meal at one of my favorite places: http://frenchfrydiary.blogspot.com/2012/08/french-fry-diary-403-cookes-of-dublin.html
- The British Chip Shop 2013 – Another favorite meal and review, at my favorite local place http://frenchfrydiary.blogspot.com/2013/09/french-fry-diary-522-british-chip-shop.html
What is your favorite “foodie” or food blogging experience so far?
I was interviewed a few years back for Travel + Leisure about who has the best French fries. That was fun.
What are your favorite cuisines/meals/recipes?
French fries obviously. 😉 Seriously, I like American, I am a meat and potatoes man.
What are your favorite Philly area restaurants? The British Chip Shop, The Pub, Donkey’s Place, Cool Dog Cafe, Village Whiskey, The Continental, Zinburger, Benihana, and the late and much missed Little Shanty Fries.
Who are your favorite Philly area chefs or food business personalities?
I’m ashamed to say that I don’t know many.
How often do you go out to eat at Philly area restaurants?
2-3 times per month
How often do you cook at home?
Several times per week
What are your favorite stores/shops/markets to shop for food products? Trader Joe’s in Marlton and Whole Foods in Marlton are favorites, followed by Wegman’s in Cherry Hill.
Tell us a few things you think our readers would find interesting about the local food scene.
- Best fries in the area are at the British Chip Shop, period. And don’t forget to leave room for the deep fried Mars bar.
- Forget Pat’s, Geno’s, and Tony Luke’s, the best cheesesteaks in the area come from Donkey’s Place, either in Camden or Medford.
- Best Chinese food is at Pineapple in West Berlin, may not look like much, but the food is fantastic.
Tell us more about yourself.
I’m associate editor and contributing writer of the pop culture website Biff Bam Pop!, and on the board of the South Jersey Writers’ Group. I write and blog about movies, television, comics, gaming, and music at Welcome to Hell. And French fries.
What other food blogs do you follow?
Philly Grub, Disney Dining Blog, The Daily Fry, Hungry Girl
I don’t have this… yet.
Pinterest URL: https://www.pinterest.com/glenn1400/
Other social media profiles:
My website: http://www.glennewalker.com
My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsura
Did we miss anything?
Thanks Glenn! We agree, French fries are pretty frickin’ great. 🙂
Want to be featured in a future Blogger Spotlight? Fill out the form right here.
The Doyenne of Delicious in Philadelphia and South Jersey.